Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Market Day

A small farmers' market runs out of the parking lot of the mall across the street from me on Wednesdays and Saturdays. So this morning, I got myself up and dressed a little earlier than usual to get some fresh veggies. The Wednesday market is small---only about a dozen stands---and this morning, most of the vendors were selling flowers. The veggie selection was slim. But I did get some mixed baby lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, and asparagus. I also picked up a couple of sticky buns and a mini sour cream poundcake. Yummy! I used some of the lettuce, onions, and tomatoes---along with some canned beans I had in the pantry---to make a salad for lunch. And then I used some of the asparagus to make a very delish pasta with goat cheese, lemon, and tarragon for dinner. I went a little too heavy-handed with the cheese, but the lemon gave the pasta a nice, fresh tang. The recipe is from my new favorite site: Smitten Kitchen. My camera takes terrible food photos, so you'll have to go to SM for a pic. I've made a couple of the other recipes from SM, and so far everything has been great.

After the market---and one of the sticky buns for breakfast---I went back to sleep. I went to bed fairly early last night, and my bed didn't show the usual signs of a restless night, but I was exhausted this morning. I do remember having a couple of vivid anxiety dreams, including one in which my sister and her best friend were telling me how stupid I am.

Continuing my languid theme for the day, I spent the afternoon on the Terrace with K., splitting a pitcher of Spotted Cow and contemplating what we would do if we quit grad school. A bunch of sailboats were out on the water; I'm anxious to get started on my lessons!

3 Comments:

At 8:07 AM , Blogger artemisia said...

Oooh, I have wanted to make that recipe ever since I saw it on SK.

How lovely that the market is so close to your home! And that it is already open! Ours doesn't open until July 3, and even then the produce selection will be slim. Aw, life at 7,200 feet!

 
At 8:08 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

what is Spotted Cow?

 
At 6:28 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Spotted Cow is a local beer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home