Friday, December 30, 2005

Resolutions

It's that time of year. And maybe, just maybe, if I post my resolutions for all to see, I might actually keep one or two of them. Maybe.

* Get back into a Size 8.
* Run a half marathon. (I'm trying to be realistic.)
* Be more social. (And, well, I don't think I could be any less social than I am right now, so this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.)
* Volunteer more often. (Ditto.)
* Finish the first draft of the novel that has been languishing all through 2005.
* Set a budget and live within it.
* Pay my bills on time.
* Improve my work ethic by, well, actually doing my work. And, you know, meeting my deadlines.
* Improve my cooking skills. I'd like to have four or five complete meals that I feel confident in preparing.
* Refresh my French skills. Once upon a time, I had a degree in French. Before it's gone completely, I'd like to brush up on the language, at least to the point where I could read a menu and ask directions.

And the Big One: Don't buy any books! (Except if I get into grad school, in which case I will have to buy books for my classes. But that's it---no other exceptions.)

I know I'm not following the "resolutions rules"---I have too many and most of them are vague. But there you have it.

Rowen also has some resolutions that she would like to share:

* Stop jumping on people when I want to say "Hello." My mom tells me that it's rude.
* Come when my mom tells me, even if I'm at the dog park and having a really good time and don't want to go home.
* Learn to wait until my mom comes home before I piddle so that I don't have to stay in my crate all day.
* Remember to bring my toys back to my mom after she throws them because she's kinda lazy. She doesn't like to run after balls like me; she just stands there and pouts.

Feel free to share your resolutions in the comments area.

6 Comments:

At 9:55 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I think my main one is to be more positive about some people IRL who get on my nerves. I read an interesting article in Yoga Journal about "changing your energy" around difficult people. Instead of thinking "I need to change my attitude," which is kind of vague and hard to do (for me anyway), you focus on how you feel inside around the person (clenched up, etc.) and try to change your energy by relaxing and being open. I think it might work :)

Rowen's resolutions are very cute! My sister's dog is in a crate when she's at work. She just runs around chewing everything up otherwise. She's going to doggy school, so maybe that will help.

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger SK said...

I think I'll join you in the resolution to try and get back into a size 8. We can motivate eachother :)

I haven't even thought of mine yet, except to learn to salsa and become more spiritual (wherever I end up).

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Diane Arias said...

Two of your goals for this year - a size 8 and a 1/2 marathon are the same as mine. I'm even contemplating a before and after picture so I'm accountable to the internet for my progress.

We'll see.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

12---I took "before" photos, but they will never be seen beyond the pages of my private (paper) journal. We'll definitely have to share our progress on the weight and the half-mary!

LIT---I need all the motivation I can get! By the way, have you ever read "Seven Storey Mountain"? It's by Thomas Merton and it's about his struggle with finding his spirituality. Another good one is "The Long Loneliness" by Dorothy Day. Oh, and Anne Lamott's book---"Traveling Mercies." And the Crosswick Journals by Madeleine L'Engle---specifically "The Irrational Season."

Okay, I'll stop now. :-)

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

So it doesn't count if I pre-order a book that is coming out in 2006, right? As long as I buy it before midnight tomorrow, right?

It's going to be a long year.

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

L, I've bought some 2006 books already ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home