Friday, July 29, 2005

Weekend Plans

Well, the blog is all abuzz. Sort of. I finally found two topics that people want to comment on: Vanity Fair and stalkers. Although the tables have turned, and the stalker shall become the stalked.* Yes, we have found Modam. And, yes, we are really bored today.**

On to the weekend plans!

Friday Night
* Taking Rowen to the dog park instead of going to yoga because I suck and didn’t take her last night. She has been so neglected this summer, and last night she took it out on my flip flop. But she’s still the bestest dog ever.
* Going to a birthday party. Bearette24 had a post on her blog yesterday or the day before about being “dumped” by friends. This is a birthday party for a friend I’ve essentially been dumped by. She was my first friend in Austin, and that first lonely summer, we went out to dinner, took her dogs for walks, attended various events. And then, over the winter, she suddenly stopped returning my phone calls. I think she realized what I was starting to get an inkling of: We just didn’t have a whole lot in common. Unfortunately, she was one of two friends. And I dumped the other one after realizing that (a) our values were wildly divergent, (b) she didn’t respect me for who I am and spent much of our time together telling me who I should be, and (c) I never felt good about myself after spending time with her. Anyway, I’m not entirely sure why I’m invited to this party or why I’m going. And I’m very nervous about the Peach Brown Betty that I’m taking because it’s a new recipe and it doesn’t look anything like the Apple Brown Betty that my mother used to make.
* Coming home early from the party to start my DVD & magazine marathon.

Saturday & Sunday
For those just tuning in, I’m in a serious funk this week. So the plan for the weekend is a full schedule of wallowing in self-pity, watching DVDs (Entourage, Season 1, Disc 1; Buffy, Season 4---Riley!---Discs 1 and 2, maybe a couple of movies), reading magazines, and taking naps. I may also finally finish the book cozy and start a new project. Maybe if I get really ambitious, I’ll write a little. Or maybe not.

That’s my weekend. And none of you are invited. But let me know what you are up to. Or don’t.





* Unfortunately I think this is less a stalking than a wave from the crowd. A stalking is much too exciting to hope for in my life.

** And, no, I am not adopting the royal We; I have co-conspirators. They shall remain unnamed. It should also be noted that I am lazy and depressed, so not likely to follow through with any stalking plans.

8 Comments:

At 11:24 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Thank you for saying you dumped a friend. I dumped one recently (didn't put it on my blog on the off chance that she's reading).

She was always telling me I should color my hair because I'm starting to get grays (they're not visible most of the time), but then she'd say, "It might wreck your hair, because it's so thin." She also said something else really annoying which I can't remember. Anyway, I always felt bad about myself after spending time with her.

Anyway, I'm glad you admitted to breaking up with a friend, because after reading Poppy Cede's blog, I felt like I was a monster or something!

Happy weekend...

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Poppy Cede's blog is poppycede.blogspot.com.

 
At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a friend in college who used to do "friend cleaning," (like spring cleaning) at the beginning of the year. She would come up to you and let you know if you made it that year. I made it most of the time, but then I did some "friend cleaning" of my own ...

Anywho, if there's any time left between naps and DVDs, maybe you can pencil in some bowling with the shortest of them all. If you feel like it, anyway.

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I don't know if I'd want to be friends with someone who annually judged whether I was worth her friendship. Too much performance anxiety.

It's sort of ironic or strange or whatever, but I'm a fiercely loyal friend---I'm the person you can call at 2 in the morning when you've had a fight with your boyfriend or ask for a ride to the airport two hours away---yet I have a high turnover rate of friends.

Bearette: I'm trying to be better about dumping people who call themselves my friend but don't act in a friendly way. I used to hang on to those people for a variety of reasons---not wanting to seem overly sensitive, wanting to have a large social group, feeling like I should somehow be grateful that someone better than me wanted to be my friend, etc. But sometimes no company is better than bad company.

And, I think, sometimes relationships just run their course. You're no longer working together and realize that the only thing you had in common was a job and a mutual hatred of a particular manager. You liked going to bars together when you were 21, but now that you're closer to 30, you'd rather skip the bars but she still wants to go. Every night.

I don't think it's terrible to let any relationship follow it's natural path, even if that path is to a fork in the road. Or to let go of unhealthy relationships.

 
At 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

go tak e a cold swim in the springs, that is bound to get you out of your funk.

sincerely,
someone who suddenly feels like a stalker (gawwwd)

 
At 4:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think we, over at our site, could use another shut-in book reviewer, and many of the books are even (matthew lesko voice) "Freeee!"

how's that for breaking the stalker mold?

mo

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I have to create my drama where I can.

But did you say, Free books? There's not a lot I wouldn't do for free books. (Although I am an AU girl, not one of those GW girls, so . . . ) Where do I sign up?

 
At 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

go to www.austinist.com and check out the site and some of our posts and previous book reviews, etc. you can click on contributors and email me by clicking on 'email' underneath my bio. check it out and email em and we can discuss further

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home