Monday, July 25, 2005

I Hate Cell Phones

Or, more accurately, I hate cell phone users.

Cell phones themselves have their place. I have one. When I first moved to Austin, I was subletting apartments for 2-3 months a time. It made more sense to get a mobile phone than to pay the phone company's set up charge every couple of months. And, as a woman, I like the security of having a phone should I ever have car trouble or get into a situation where I need help RIGHT NOW.

I don't like cell phone users who drive 35 mph in a 55 mph zone because they are on the phone. Or who can't bother to check to see if I'm in the next lane before they attempt to change lanes because to do so might mean pausing in their oh-so-important conversation.

Because I'm nosy to a high degree, I kind of get a kick out of the people who share their lives in public over the phone. I sometimes take notes. But I'm kind of freaked out by people who are seemingly having conversations with themselves. I like to be able to see a phone connected to the ear.

I bring this up because of a funny/annoying incident at the dog park. A middle-age woman was having a very animated conversation on her cell phone about the new Harry Potter book. What was funny was that a middle-age woman was so animated about a children's book. What was annoying was that she was describing in detail what her dog was doing in the park---rather than actually playing with her dog. Fortunately, her dog was pleasant. Had it been troublesome, my dog's toy may have been "accidentally" thrown in the vicinity of her head. Which isn't actually much of a threat because my idea of getting something "in the vicinity" is in the same zip code. And, well, I throw like a really wimpy girl.

Also fortunate is that I don't care about Harry Potter and no children were in the area. Because the woman repeatedly and very loudly revealed who kicks it in the book. WTH? Whatever.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Even I know who died and I didn't read it ;) So much for secrets.

 
At 6:25 PM , Blogger Poppy said...

Sometimes when people give out their cell phone number in public I commit the number to memory and tell myself I will randomly call it and harass the person. I never actually do it, but WHY ARE YOU YELLING YOUR PHONE NUMBER LOUDLY ENOUGH FOR ME TO HEAR IT?! Argh. I have a cell phone, but it is only used for emergencies or (this is silly) to call a restaurant to order take-out while my husband drives us to the restaurant to pick it up. He's driving, not me, and there's nobody else around, so I'm going to say this is an acceptable use. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home