Monday, May 16, 2005

On the Nightstand

I feel like I should clarify something here. Each week, I list what I'm reading. And the list changes each week, which gives the appearance that I'm actually finishing the books and magazines that I had listed the week before.

This is not true.

See, I suffer from AD/BA---attention-deficit/book addiction. In any given week, I'll start 2-3 books and leaf through several magazines. I rarely actually finish any of them in that same week. Rather, I'll pick up and put down those same books and magazines many times over the course of months and years. Some, I'll eventually give up on, others will get finished, and others will be cycled through endlessly. This condition is aggravated by my severe OCBB (obsessive-compulsive book buying). I can't help it. I'm a very sick woman with a credit card.

For this week, I have lined up the following:

Azur Like It by Wendy Holden
Campy British chick-lit with a punny title. And I'm not even ashamed of myself.

Don't Think of An Elephant! by George Lakoff
A semantic political debate? Don't have to ask me twice!

Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton
Still reading this one. Still liking it. Still overidentifying. Still wanting to call the author Alain de Bottom because it makes me laugh.

Adbusters (May/June 2005)
I really want to hate big corporations. I want to free myself from brand identities. As long as I can still go to Starbucks, drink Coca Cola, shop at Target, and wear L.L. Bean.

The Paris Review (Spring 2005)
Philip Gourevitch wasn't on board yet for this one. But he will be there soon. Yippee! And there's an awesome interview with Shirley Hazzard. If I ever (God-forbid) have children, I won't let them watch television until they are 21 (and I'll pray that they never see this sentence).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home