Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday Five

Another Friday, another five.

1. I don’t know where my time goes. Really. I’ve tried to be more conscientious this week. Each day, I’ve made a specific schedule. And each night, I’ve written down what I actually did that day. And I still can’t figure out how I manage to waste so much of each day.

I have one month left to write two 20-page literature reviews and a revised proposal. Not impossible, but I really need to get myself motivated and focused.

2. I also haven’t done any sailing again this week, despite perfect weather almost every day. I forget why I didn’t go on Monday. On Tuesday, I rode my bicycle to campus and was too worn out afterwards to go sailing. Wednesday, I wasn’t feeling well. Thursday, the weather was frustratingly iffy. We were supposed to have storms all day, but the rain came and went in brief bursts and then disappeared in the afternoon, leaving just a bunch of threatening clouds. I didn’t want to get to campus and find out that the lake was closed. Then today, I felt guilty about not having read enough for prelims, so I made myself spend the afternoon working.

3. I saw the cutest Boston Terrier puppy at the dog park today. He was only 4 months old and couldn’t have been more than 10 pounds. (I’ll leave aside my usual rant about how puppies shouldn’t be at the dog park until they are at least six months old.)

I want a new puppy so much. I’m still completely in love with Rowen. But she’s almost 5 years old, and she’s lost that spastic puppy energy. And I realize that a sane person would be happy that her dog has settled down to be a (mostly) calm, sweet-tempered companion. But I’ve never claimed to be sane.

Unfortunately, I have to be realistic. I barely have the time (or money) to care for Rowen. And having one dog in a condo with no yard is less than ideal; having two dogs cooped up all day would be unfair. Not to mention that I still haven’t given up on going into the field next year. I’ve convinced my parents to take Rowen while I’m gone, but no way I’ll be able to convince them to take on the care of two dogs.

4. I now have eight---eight!---little tomatoes growing on my balcony. Mornings are so much more exciting when I can look forward to checking on my plant to see if any new tomatoes have started and how big each one is getting.

Would it be totally weird to name the tomatoes?

5. I’m off to a wedding this weekend. And I decided that I can wear slacks.

2 Comments:

At 5:08 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

You can name the tomatoes. You just have to tell us their names :) Also, I wonder if that would make it hard to eat them.

 
At 10:55 AM , Blogger artemisia said...

I held a puppy this weekend and I nearly stole it. Oh, that puppy smell and THE PUPPY BELLY.

Two dogs is entirely enough insanity. And truth be told, I don't know that I have the energy to train a puppy.

You can do the lit reviews, I am sure of it. Too bad that isn't fun.

Good luck, sweetie. I am rooting for you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home