Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Reading Rainbow

I don't have much joy in my life right now. It would probably help if I read about something other than genocide, poverty, hunger, disease, and the evils of globalization; saw movies that didn't center on death; and left my apartment every once in a while for something other than doggy doo duty.

But I do have the bright spots: Rowen, who makes me laugh at least a dozen times a day, even when she's being naughty (especially when she's being naughty); sunny days at the dog park; super-yummy handpicked strawberries; and Wednesday morning storytime.

Each Wednesday morning, I read to 4-year-olds at a local daycare. As soon as I step out of the car, I hear the kids calling, "The Storytime Lady is here!" (Last week, I asked the kids if they knew what my name was. One little girl raised her hand up high and said, "Storytime Lady." Hee!) Then, I get to spend half an hour reading children's books, singing silly songs, and doing goofy dances. Better still, I get smiles and giggles and hugs. I get two dozen kids who can't wait to see me and who all want to tell me something REALLY IMPORTANT all at once and who listen with rapt attention and wide eyes as I read about dinosaurs and puppies and giants.

(And I get a soy chai from Starbucks on my way back to the office!)

Wednesday mornings are definitely the best time of the week.

This week's Storytime Stories were (you know you know the song, so sing along . . . Butterfly in the sky . . . I can go twice as high . . . )

Hunting the Daddyosaurus by Teresa Bateman, illustrated by Benrei Huang
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs by Paul Strickland
Dinosaur Train by John Steven Gurney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home