Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A Word from Our Sponsors

A very overdue---and likely very long---update is forthcoming. In the meantime, for those who are interested, I have a mailing address:

c/o Young Voices
PO Box 30010
Chichiri Blantyre
Malawi
PH: 0991746546

You need to include the phone number so the post office will call and let me know that I have mail. Or just tell me that you've sent something so I know to start checking for it.

The address is good for things sent by early December.

Also, for my fellow fieldworkers and future fieldworkers, a book recommendation: Improvising Theory: Process and Temporality in Ethnographic Fieldwork by Allaine Cerwonka and Liisa Malkki. Skim the first chapter---it's mostly a poli sci grad student making the shocking revelation that ethnography is a valuable method. But the bulk of the book is an e-mail exchange between a student in the field (Cerwonka) and her adviser (Malkki) about all the vagaries of fieldwork: how to choose a field site, who makes a good informant, what to include in fieldnotes, etc. I've found reading the exchange hugely helpful---both in answering my own questions about fieldwork (seeing as my own committee is ignoring me) and in reassuring myself that I'm not a total failure at fieldwork (e.g., it's not unusual to spend the first few months just trying to locate and settle into a site).

Stay tuned for a massive round up of a month's worth of ups and downs.

5 Comments:

At 3:51 AM , Blogger SK said...

Very glad to see you are still blogging. I guess I stopped reading everything when life got really crazy and I never remembered to check back.

Also glad that you don't have malaria. Take care!

 
At 3:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am a bit confused by the above person's comment about malaria. You thought you had malaria? My facebook diet is probably to blame for me not knowing about this.

I was lectured today for not emailing you (ok, not lectured exactly)-- if I had something, anything, to tell you about, I would certainly well, tell you. But life is boring and bland and non-productive.

Can't wait to read about your latest adventures!

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Charitie: I had a really bad cold/flu-type thing. Bad enough that I went to get checked for malaria because I had all the symptoms (except for chills). But 'twas just a cold.

And J. wasn't supposed to lecture you! I wrote to her to check that my e-mail was working because I had written to a whole bunch of folks and nobody wrote back.

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger Jessica Mason said...

OMG, I did not lecture! Don't believe a word Charitie says!

 
At 8:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We carry only the highest quality fabric from suppliers like Animal Series. I try to keep the vast majority of the fabrics I carry IN STOCK with the exception of the special order hand dyed fabrics. We carry some beautiful hand dyed fabrics from Wallet series. They come in a large array of colors. Hand dyed fabrics add a dimensional look to your cross stitch project. We have an excellent tool on our website called a fabric calculator. It will help you decide what size of fabric and needle you will need to complete your project. Not sure what type of fabric you want to do your project on? Thinking of trying a different kind of fabric? Try our Fabric Samples. We have a great supplier for hand dyed fabrics called Traditional Chinese Series. They are quick and reliable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home